1 First go. This is wrong in so many ways. This would have required sinking the posts into concrete. The top shelf is even too high to see. Nightmare.
1First go. This is wrong in so many ways. This would have required sinking the posts into concrete. The top shelf is even too high to see. Nightmare.
2Not entirely sure what’s keeping the other end up.
3The sun’s clearly out now – sensibly put a cap on.
4How will it look with some bonsai trees on it? This design got some criticism for being structurally unsound; there’s nothing holding the front and back legs together.
5I realized I could also model my whole garden to see how it fit in. This also allowed me to accurately calculate where the sun would be.
6Looking at the bench from my neighbours garden's perspective - checking he still gets some sunshine...he's never complained about it. The bench acts as the fence between us.
7I really liked this one but it was too massive and would have been overly complex to build.
8Restarted the design again in 2009. This was the first go at the basic frame of the final design - it remains this way.
9Here with leg supports in place.
10Now in wood tone, with the supports brought inside the legs – this takes less space and uses less wood. It subsequently occurred to me I could extend those leg supports and make another shelf - which you see in the next image.
11And here's the final design.
12Construction - assembling the frame and the back legs.
14Third shelf supports.
15Frame completed - now the first shelves go down. These get oiled immediately - because when the upper shelves are in place it would be very heard to get underneath with a paintbrush.
16All the shelves screwed in place and the whole thing oiled; it's done.
17Put some bonsai trees on it to make a final photo before moving it into place in the garden to the left.
18Bench number 2 in place next to the original. It's completely covered in bonsai a few minutes later.
19This is a composite of Sketchup generated images I made when I wrote the construction plans.